Sunday, March 3, 2013

There you have it, 10 memorable college baseball teams....

....although of course there are many others.   As I mentioned back in the introductory post, great teams from the early days of college baseball, such as from Fordham or Columbia, could not be included in this simulation because of the near-total lack of the statistical information needed.  Furthermore, there are some great recent teams, such as from Rice, Oregon State, or South Carolina, that I did not include but certainly merit consideration.  However, for all 10 teams included, at least a decade has passed since their "season to remember," and that time allows for some additional perspective on the significance of the team's place in history.  Finally, there were other prime candidates excluded...some tremendous teams from these schools, but from other years, and also great teams from other highly successful programs (such as Stanford or Arizona).   Great arguments can be made for alternate choices, to which I can only respond--then create a similar project, and add to or replace my teams and include your own favorites!  This is the fun of baseball simulation--the statistical record allows a fantasy glimpse into matchups that never were.  After my project is complete, I will post the statistical data library that I've created that can be freely downloaded, to replicate or improve upon my efforts.  For anyone inclined to do so, it would be necessary to understand the methodology.  So, in my next post I will provide a little overview of the method used to simulate a grueling 162 game schedule between these 10 teams, with the simple goal of providing a little more grist for the mill for arguments about the Greatest College Baseball Team of All Time.  And then...time to begin posting some results.

No comments:

Post a Comment